Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter Brunch

Today my darling boyfriend and I enjoyed a late and lazy Easter brunch.
This included vegan hot cross buns (recipe from the vegetarian society), vegan carrot cake (recipe from recipezaar but I used 1 cup of apple sauce - it turned out nice and moist), store-bought oat knots (buns), fruit salad, jam, muesli (BF had toasted muesli which is also vegan) and also vegan cream cheese, tomato, avocado and sprouts for the savoury bread.

It was delicious and afterwards I was absolutely stuffed :-).
Here some pictures (the evil cow's milk is BF's hehehe)



BF was very sweet and went out yesterday especially to get my an Easter treat. He asked what kind of chocolate I was "allowed" these days :-). There were no vegan-friendly chocolate eggs so he got me this very yummy dark chocolate. It's a very sweet gesture (literally) because he's quite keen on omni-food so I really appreciated it.

The toasted muesli:

3 cups of oats
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup oat bran
2 tblsp each sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and linseed
plenty of nuts (I use walnuts, cashew, almonds and peanuts)

2 tblsp vege margarine
1/2 cup brown/raw sugar
1 tblsp maple syrup

1 cup dried fruit (raisins, apricots, whatever you like)

Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
In a pan or saucepan, heat margarine, sugar and syrup over low heat until sugar dissolves. Stir this into the dry ingredients and mix well until all is combined.
Spread the muesli onto a large baking tray and bake in the preheated oven at 150 degrees C for 45 min, stirring every 10 min.

Remove from oven and stir in dried fruit. Delicious! :-)


Hot X Buns, Carrot Cake loaf, Oat knots






BF's giant Easter egg and creme eggs

No comments: